Nuutajärvi glassworks factory was established in 1793 in Finland. Their production started with hand-blown window glass and bottles, but later on they became famous for their handicraft skills and cooperation with design companies in Finland. The company was bought by the Wärtsila Group in 1950. Kaj Franck worked at Nuutajärvi as an art director and designer during 1951-1976. Other designers at Nuutajärvi include Oiva Toikka, Heikki Orvola, and Saara Hopea.
Nuutajärvi merged with Iittala in 1988, and Nuutajärvi glass was marketed under the Iittala name until the production was moved to Iittala in 2014.