Greetings from Finland!
The Pantone announced the Colour of the Year 2020: Classic Blue. This announcement provides strategic direction for the world of trend and design for the 20TH year in a row. Classic Blue has been described as a blue sky at dusk. Instilling calm, confidence, and connection, this enduring blue hue highlights our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era.
– The Pantone Color Institute
For many of us, this is a very special year: graduates and people starting their career, new job opportunities, weddings, new homes etc. If you think more broadly of various hues or nuances of blue: from turquoise to cobalt blue, you certainly will find so many ways to enjoy trendy blue. Here are Tiina’s Tips for the best gifts in Classic Blue.
1. Aurinkopullo and Hyrrä Vases
Did you know that blue was also the favourite colour of Helena Tynell, designer of one of these stylish and collected items from the 1960's?
2. Grapponia series
In the 1970s at the same glassworks as Tynell, Riihimäen Lasi, Nanny Still used Classic Blue for this amazing Grapponia decoration in bowls, glasses and plates.
3. Iittala blue glasses and pitcher by Tapio Wirkkala
A wonderful way to add blue to a table setting is to use these beautiful, delicate classical glasses. These glasses are a perfect choice for the hot summer season.
Taika is a popular series by Ulla Procopé and Inkeri Seppälä. This interesting decoration with snowberries combines blue with white and brown. Original vintage Arabia stoneware production is safe for the dishwasher, microwave and even oven. You can feel the comfortable weight in your hands. Like stones grinded by the sea. Taika is a practical and retro-style choice for everyday use.
5. Moomintroll On Ice
A Moomin mug is one of the most popular gifts in Finland. In this blue decoration by Tove Slotte, Moomintroll is looking at his reflection on ice. Make a practical and cute set with the mug and the bowl. This decoration was in production 2002-2012. Moomin mugs that are no longer in production by Arabia and not available in regular shops, are a good choice as a gift for a moomin lover. You will find more of them here
Classic Blue is the right tone that comes at the right time to convey calmness, stability, and honesty while it marks the world’s transition to a new decade. As the timelessness and tranquility of the blue hue bring us peace of mind and keep our thoughts focused and clear, they also remind us that we should slow down and appreciate what we’ve achieved so far. Fostering stability and resilience, the classic tone of blue stands against aggression and encourages a world of honesty and constant improvement.
- Iveta Pavlova, graphicmama.com
The cobalt blue hue is also said to be associated with communication, introspection and clarity. Other benefits of the hue include aiding concentration and helping to re-centre thoughts, particularly in light of technology's accelerating developments.
- Bridget Cogley, dezeen.com
In our fast-paced, ever-changing world that seems to feel more chaotic by the day, Pantone is hopeful for peace and stability in 2020 and the decade beyond.
- Rachel Kashdan, Boston Magazine
Combine blue with other colours in the interior to create atmospheres you enjoy. You can lay the table mixing dishes with various block colours, like Teema and Kilta, or easily add colours to the table with Marimekko napkins and Nuutajärvi glasses. Colours are vitamins for the eyes.
1. Would you like to create a fresh Nordic style? Do as we like to do in Finland - combine blue with white. Read more and see examples in Blue & White
2. Just add some red to white and blue and you can create a seaside style for summer. Red gets your attention, and this style can make you feel the ocean breeze. Find red items here
3. Try using pastel colours with blue to soften the setting. Maybe you would like to add a little touch of romanticism? A classic example of this is of course pink and blue for a loving couple or a boy and a girl.
4. If you would like to cheer up and have fun, try adding yellow as a complementary colour to blue. Yellow symbolises the sun.
5. Is having an everyday feeling of coziness your thing? Try combining blue with brown and enjoy a homeliness that matches well with wooden interiors.
6. Green creates harmony, it often symbolises nature. Combine blue and green for a soothing and refreshing effect.
See combinations of blue with other colors in Coffee Sets
Suomen yleisradio News 27.1.2020
Your shopping cart is empty